Castle Of Chatters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Castle Of Chatters

The place where chatters go.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem Empty
PostSubject: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I am new to ubuntu (getting tired of xp problems), new to linux/unix, and trying to find a decent alternative to XP. I really like ubuntu but so far I have found a problem that I haven't been able to figure out on my own. Hopefully someone here has had the same problem and can help me.

I installed ubuntu 606 desktop from the live CD and it works great. I built the machine it is on out of old parts I had laying around so my girl will have a pc to use while I am at work. She is addicted to myspace and loves to im her friends there. Since switching to ubuntu I have found what I believe are flash problems with the site. When using the IM client in myspace, the person you are messaging sees all the text you type and thier side is fine but on your side of the IM window no text is displayed either in the box where you type or where the text the other person is sending you is supposed to appear. I have flash 7 installed successfully and it plays videos and such so I think it's ok. I also notice on myspace sites that have music, the player box is blank and it appears to not be working. I don't have any speakers yet to know if there is audio or not. This may be related but i'm not sure. Is this a flash problem or is it something like java?

Any help is appreciated. If I get this working, we are going to stick with ubuntu and leave windows in the dust forever.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Kelsey
Premium Member
Premium Member
Kelsey

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:43 pm

lol. you have the most problems in these forums pig Download Automatix and use it to install all the necessary firefox plugins if you haven't already done so. Umm...

IIRC, Myspace upgraded the version of Flash it is using to 8 =
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Sports Jacket wrote:
I am new to ubuntu (getting tired of xp problems), new to linux/unix, and trying to find a decent alternative to XP. I really like ubuntu but so far I have found a problem that I haven't been able to figure out on my own. Hopefully someone here has had the same problem and can help me.

I installed ubuntu 606 desktop from the live CD and it works great. I built the machine it is on out of old parts I had laying around so my girl will have a pc to use while I am at work. She is addicted to myspace and loves to im her friends there. Since switching to ubuntu I have found what I believe are flash problems with the site. When using the IM client in myspace, the person you are messaging sees all the text you type and thier side is fine but on your side of the IM window no text is displayed either in the box where you type or where the text the other person is sending you is supposed to appear. I have flash 7 installed successfully and it plays videos and such so I think it's ok. I also notice on myspace sites that have music, the player box is blank and it appears to not be working. I don't have any speakers yet to know if there is audio or not. This may be related but i'm not sure. Is this a flash problem or is it something like java?

Any help is appreciated. If I get this working, we are going to stick with ubuntu and leave windows in the dust forever.

Thanks

Well you have two options. The first is simply this: break her addiction to myspace!, so the second thing you can do is:

Make sure you have the universe and multiverse repositories, and type in your terminal:

Code:

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
sudo update-flashplugin

That should work for you. Notice of course that flash support for Linux stopped at 7 I believe. Anything above that still will not work.

Last edited by Yasper on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:49 pm

Thx for the help yasper, hope this works

I personally don't care for the myspace. Everytime she wants to do something, she goes and finds code on the net, installs it and it doesn't work like it's supposed to. I end up spending an hour pasting the code into dreamweaver and finding a typo that shouldn't have been there. It's a waste of time to me but she enjoys it and other than mp3's and e-mail, it's the only thing she does on the computer. I really built the other PC for her to enjoy. Hopefully I can get it all ironed out so she can have fun.
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Glad to help. Thread closed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem   Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem Empty

Back to top Go down

Ubuntu 606 myspace instand messenger problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Castle Of Chatters :: Castle Of Chatters :: Announcments :: Are You New? :: Suggestions, Comments, & Feedback :: Technical Support-
Jump to: