Castle Of Chatters
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Castle Of Chatters

The place where chatters go.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install Empty
PostSubject: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:06 pm

The iPhone battery drains about 5x faster now that iOS4 is installed. Do we have any solutions for this problem that don't involve eliminating things that used to work fine (i.e. wifi/3G, fetching mail every 15 minutes, playing music, etc) None of these things should have to be disabled.

How do I get battery life back? Revert to iOS3..? What happens when Apps say 4.0 is required?
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:10 pm

Sports Jacket wrote:
The iPhone battery drains about 5x faster now that iOS4 is installed. Do we have any solutions for this problem that don't involve eliminating things that used to work fine (i.e. wifi/3G, fetching mail every 15 minutes, playing music, etc) None of these things should have to be disabled.

How do I get battery life back? Revert to iOS3..? What happens when Apps say 4.0 is required?

Well, you can't revert without jailbreaking. You can start by Restoring, and if that doesn't fix the battery problem that your phone has Restore again as a new phone. If that doesn't fix it take it to an Apple store.
Back to top Go down
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Yasper wrote:
Sports Jacket wrote:

Well, you can't revert without jailbreaking. You can start by Restoring, and if that doesn't fix the battery problem that your phone has Restore again as a new phone. If that doesn't fix it take it to an Apple store.

How can Apple release an update that just kills battery life? Something tells me that the battery life with iOS4 is fine on the iPhone 4....
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:14 pm

Sports Jacket wrote:
Yasper wrote:
Sports Jacket wrote:

How can Apple release an update that just kills battery life? Something tells me that the battery life with iOS4 is fine on the iPhone 4....

The same way Apple can release an update (the same one) that improves battery life. My battery life on a 3GS has gotten much better since the upgrade. If yours didn't there is something wrong with the software or apps on your phone.
Back to top Go down
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:15 pm

Yasper wrote:
Sports Jacket wrote:
Yasper wrote:
Sports Jacket wrote:

The same way Apple can release an update (the same one) that improves battery life. My battery life on a 3GS has gotten much better since the upgrade. If yours didn't there is something wrong with the software or apps on your phone.

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out (despite the sarcasm). Everything worked fine on the 3.0 versions of the OS. After going to 4.0, I now have fast draining battery. All the apps I have ran fine. Another suspicious thing after the upgrade was that I had 20 duplicates of each of my alarms. This seemed to slow it down considerably until I deleted them all.

The first thing I'm going to try is the whole.. "let it completely run dry, then let it completely charge" to make sure it's not just out of synch or whatever. But that seems hard to believe for whatever reason.

I love this phone, so if OS4 does somehow just drain battery faster on the older phones, then its a shame if this is some way to try and force me to upgrade. (However to be fair, this also seems hard to believe)
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 pm

I realize if you are one with the problem you don't care whether you are the only one, one in ten, or one in ten thousand. You want it fixed. Observations indicate that the problem is caused either by the upgrade process itself or is caused by corrupted data in the backup image of the phone that is restored. Interestingly, people who have downgraded (by jailbreaking) usually report that the downgrade did not fix the problem.

There are a few things you can try. Do each one in sequence, and when the problem is solved don't do any more.

Reboot the phone - First turn the phone off by holding Sleep until a silder appears. Then hold HOME and SLEEP until an Apple logo appears.

Open Safari and close all open windows.

Go into Mail,Contacts, Calendar, open each of your email accounts and turn it off. Then exit settings and reboot as above. When the phone comes back to life go into Settings and turn the email account(s) back on.

Go into Settings and turn off Notifications. Test the phone. If that fixes it you have a bad app causing the problem. If that doesn't turn Notifications back on.

Restore the phone and reload your backup. If it's still not working -

Restore the phone as a new phone and do not reload your backup. Test the phone's battery life before adding any email accounts or apps. If you still have a problem -

Go into Settings/General/Reset and tap Erase all Content and Settings. Again restore as a new phone. If you still have a problem contact Apple for a replacement phone.

Somewhere along the way one of these will fix it. Probably closer to the beginning than to the end.
Back to top Go down
Sports Jacket
Sports Jacket

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Ok, I'm going to give these things a try. I have restarted it and forced restarted it already, and nothing is running in Safari. I'll try the rest after I make sure my battery is just not synched up correctly or whatever.

Thanks for the suggestions too, I appreciate it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I don't want to jinx it, but my phone seems back to normal. I let the battery run completely dry, then I let it completely recharge.

When I was letting it run dry, the battery reported less than 20% left for about 4 hours of normal use. So maybe the ios4 messes up how much battery the phone thinks it has or something..? Just a guess.

I'm also fetching gmail at my normal, pre ios4, every 15 mins.

So everything seems normal again.
Back to top Go down
Yasper
I talk too much!
Yasper

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 9:20 pm

Glad to help. Thread closed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install   iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install Empty

Back to top Go down

iPhone 3G Battery issues after iOS4 install
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Castle Of Chatters :: Castle Of Chatters :: Announcments :: Are You New? :: Suggestions, Comments, & Feedback :: Technical Support-
Jump to: